History of the university
The foundation of the University of Tabuk (2006 G /1427 L) is a clear representation of the faultless vision of the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques, King Abdulla Bin Abdul-Aziz, God bless his soul. The vision that revolves around spreading higher education all over the kingdom. Currently, there are 1659 faculties at the university; females are represented by 40% and the number of students both males and females are exceeding 36000. The university seeks to be a beacon of knowledge in all fields of education and development. As for the main campus, it is located in Tabuk city in the northwest of the Kingdom. From the point of departure that the university is to serve people of this area, many branches of the University of Tabuk in the near provinces had been constructed.
The university has a complete administrative system that comprises 5 vice-presidencies and 16 colleges as follows: (College of Medicine, College of Engineering, College of Applied Medical Sciences, College of Science, College of Computer and Information Technology, College of Arts, College of Home Economics, College of Community, College of Sharia and Law, College of Business Administration, College of Pharmacy, University College in Duba, University College in Alwajh, University College in Umluj, University College in Haql, University College in Tayma) in addition to the College of Tourism that is to be inaugurated in Alwajh Province very soon. Moreover, the university has the following deanships: (Deanship of Admission and Registration, Deanship of Faculty and Staff, Deanship of Students’ Affairs, Deanship of Scientific Research, Deanship of Community Service and Continuing Education, Deanship of Graduate Studies, Deanship of Libraries’ Affairs, Deanship of Quality and Development, Deanship of Academic Services, Deanship of Information Technology, Deanship of E-Learning and Distance Education, Institute of Research and Consultancy) as well as the following centers: (Sensor Networks and cellular Systems Research Center, and The English Language Center).
The campus is 12 million sqm of land and the university went a long way in achieving the University City Project and the work is still ongoing to finish Faculties Housing Project as well as the permanent buildings for colleges of Medicine, Applied Medical Sciences, Business Administration, and Science.
Gaining academic accreditation from national and international institutions is a very important indicator of the quality of the education process. Thus, the university is seeking the application of NCAAA standards and criteria in the kingdom before 1440 L/2020 G. The following programs gained academic accreditations from different international centers and institutions as follows:
- The Community College: the technical and vocational program gained accreditation from the Council on Occupational Education authorized by the Ministry of Education in the United States in October 2010.
- College of Engineering: the mechanical engineering program gained accreditation from ABET in 1437-1438 L.
- College of Computer and Information Technology: the computer science program gained accreditation from ABET in 1437-1438 L.
- College of Science: the mathematics program gained accreditation from ASEN in 1435-1436 L.
- College of Arts: the English language program gained accreditation from CEA in 1437-1438 L.
The university is conducting a lot of studies and research that matter the region through international partnerships in the United States, Australia, Germany, Japan, Bulgaria, India, and Turkey. The university also adopts two research chairs supported by His Royal Highness Prince Fahd Bin Sultan Al-Saud, the prince of Tabuk. These chairs are:
- The Chair of the Prince Fahd Bin Sultan of advanced technological research for diagnosing diseases and their causes and ways to treat them.
- The Chair of the Prince Fahd Bin Sultan for studying the youth’s issues and their development.