- (2007/ 2011) MPhil/PhD, Department of Pharmacology, MRC Centre for Drug Safety Science, University of Liverpool, UK. MD, Supreme Council of Universities, Egypt.
- Thesis entitled (The role of T-lymphocytes in non-immediate allergic reactions to drugs: definition of the relationship between drug antigenicity and immunogencitiy)
- (1997-2004) MSc, Departments of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, Tanta University, Egypt. Thesis entitled (Demonstrating the effect of losartan and atorvastatin on nitric oxide levels in atherosclerotic rabbits).
- (1990-1996) Faculty of Medicine, Tanta University, Egypt. MBBC, very good “Honor”.
- (2006) The Egyptian Government scholarship to get a PhD in immunopharmacology.
- (2008) Overseas Research Student Award Scheme “ORSAS” from the University of Liverpool.
November 2015-till now
- Assistant Professor of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Tabuk.
- Teaching, research, and administrative work.
- Medical teaching in problem-based and lecture small group and large groups.
- A member of Faculty Medical Education Committee 2016/2018.
- A member of Faculty Accreditation Committee 2016/2017.
July 2011- November 2015
- Lecturer, Pharmacology department, Faculty of Medicine, Tanta University
- Responsibilities involve lectures of undergraduate students “Medicine & Dentistry”.
- Lectures of postgraduate (MSc & MD).
- Preparation of studying curricula, examination and assessment of students “oral, practical & written exams”.
- Research supervision of master and doctorate students, details of my research interest and research expertise are discussed later under separate topic.
2007 – 2011: MPhil/PhD student “immunopharmacology”
- MRC Centre for Drug Safety Science, Department of Pharmacology & Therapeutics, Sherrington Building, Ashton St., University of Liverpool, England, P.O. Box 147, Liverpool, L69 3GE
- Research studies was to investigate and define the relationship between the chemistry of antigen formation and the mechanisms by which this leads to an aberrant T-lymphocyte-mediated immune response in human.
2004-2007: assistant Lecturer Pharmacology
- Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, Tanta University, Egypt.
- Main duties; practical sessions, laboratory work of medical undergrads. Practical exams supervision and marking.
- Effective communication skills (18 hours, Tanta University).
- Using technology in education (18 hours, Tanta University).
- University management (18 hours, Tanta University).
- Strategic planning (18 hours, Tanta University).
- ICDL (word, excel, power point, access, internet, information technology), three months courses and exams (Tanta University).
Teaching skills development
- Teaching and lecturing skills (84 hours, Faculty of Education, Tanta University)
- Demonstrator training course (7 hours course, University of Liverpool)
- Career Development Courses: (15 hours, Faculty of Medicine, Tabuk University)
- Teaching and learning (5 hours).
- Curriculum Design and Development (5 hours).
- Student assessment (5 hours).
Research skills development
- Scientific research design (18 hours, Tanta University).
- Scientific communication and publication (18 hours, Tanta University).
- Safety measures in using radiation in research (2 hours, University of Liverpool).
- Using reference management software in scientific publications; endnote and ref-manager (2 hours, University of Liverpool).
- Safety measures and code of practice in laboratory work (2 hours, University of Liverpool)
- Statistical analysis of data (35 hours course, University of Liverpool)
- Training to use statistics software (SPSS, Prism) University of Liverpool
Research interest & experience
Interested in research in pharmacology and immunopharmacology.
Experience in molecular/ cellular immunology, molecular biology and biochemistry assays/ techniques including:
- Eman T Mehanna, Sabah H El-Ghaiesh, Hala MF Mohammad, Sawsan A Zaitone, Essam Abdelsattar. Russelioside B, A pregnane glycoside, modulates the expression of adiponectin and visfatin and improves insulin resistance in rats fed with high-fat diet (submitted 2017).
- El-Ebiary AA., El-Ghaiesh S, Hantash E & Alomar S. Mitigation of cadmium-induced lung injury by Nigella sativa oil. Environ Sci Pollut Res Int. 2016; 23, 25356-25363.
- Jenkins RE, Yaseen FS, Monshi MM, Whitaker P, Meng X, Farrell J, Hamlett J, Sanderson JP, El-Ghaiesh S, Peckham D, Pirmohamed M, Park BK, Naisbitt DJ. ?-Lactam antibiotics form distinct haptenic structures on albumin and activate drug-specific T-lymphocyte responses in multiallergic patients with cystic fibrosis. Chem Res Toxicol. 2013 Jun 17;26(6):963-75. Epub 2013 May 23.
- El-Ghaiesh S, Monshi MM, Whitaker P, Jenkins R, Meng X, Farrell J, et al. Characterization of the antigen specificity of T-cell clones from piperacillin hypersensitive patients with cystic fibrosis. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2012 Jun; 341(3): 597-610.
- Whitaker P1, Xiaoli M1, Lavergne SN1, El-Ghaiesh S1, Monshi M, Earnshaw C, Peckham D, Gooi J, Conway C, Pirmohamed M, Jenkins R, Naisbitt DJ & Park BK. Mass spectrometric characterization of circulating and functional antigens derived from piperacillin in patients with cystic fibrosis. J Immunol. 2011 Jul; 187(1): 200-11.
- El-Ghaiesh S, Sanderson JP, Farrell J, Lavergne SN, Syn WK, Pirmohamed M, Park BK, Naisbitt DJ. Trimethoprim stimulates T-cells through metabolism-dependent and independent pathways. Chem Res Toxicol. 2011 Jun; 24(6): 791-3.
- El-Ghaiesh S, Sanderson J, Farrell J, Lavergne SN, Syn W, Pirmohamed M, Park K & Naisbitt DJ. Characterization of drug-specific lymphocyte responses in a patient with drug-induced liver injury. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2011 May 17. [Epub a head of print].
- Elsheikh A, Castrejon J, Lavergne S, Whitaker P, Monshi M, Callan H, El-Ghaiesh S, Farrell J, Pichler WJ, Peckham D, Kevin Park B and Naisbitt DJ. Enhanced antigenicity leads to altered immunogenicity in sulfamethoxazole hypersensitive patients with cystic fibrosis. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2011 Jun; 127(6): 1543-1551.
- Castrejon JL, Berry N, El-Ghaiesh S, Gerber B, Pichler WJ, Park BK, Naisbitt DJ. Stimulation of human T cells with sulfonamides and sulfonamide metabolites. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2010 Feb; 125(2):411-418.
Research supervision and grants
- Research supervisor of doctorate student (2012-2016): Studying the effect of low dose naltrexone with and without 5-flurouracil in Ehrlich carcinoma in mice (manuscript in preparation).
- A consultant on (2015-2017): studying the potential therapeutic effects of herbal extracts (berry leaves and olive leaves) on streptozotocin-induced diabetes in rats.
- An Editorial Board member in Universal Journal of Pharmaceutical Research (UJPR).
- A member in European Academy of allergy and Clinical Immunology (EIAACI).
- A member in British Pharmacological Society (BPS).
- A member in British toxicology Society (BTS).
- A member in European Cystic Fibrosis Society (ECFS).
- A member in Egyptian Society of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics (ESPET).
- 30th Tanta University Congress (Multidisciplinary Medicine Era II) 2015, Tanta, Egypt. (Oral talk).
- 28th Tanta University Congress (Quality & Medicine) 2013, Tanta, Egypt. “Oral talk & a post graduate course”.
- ICNBS international conference of Nanotechnology, Biotechnology and Spectroscopy March 2012, Cairo, Egypt. “A poster & an oral talk”.
- 5th Drug Hypersensitivity Meeting 2012, Munich, Germany. “Poster presentation”.
- Tanta University conference 2012, Tanta, Egypt. “Oral talk”. British Society of Immunology congress 2010, Liverpool, UK. “2 posters”.
- 33rd European cystic fibrosis conference 2010, Valencia, Spain. “A poster”.
- 4th drug hypersensitivity meeting 2010, Rome, Italy. “4 posters”.
- British Pharmacology Society winter meeting 2009, UK. “A poster”.
- British Toxicology Society annual congress 2009, Warwick, UK. “A poster”.