- ACADEMIC TEACHING:
The Department is responsible for teaching the subject of Pathology to undergraduate students in faculty of Medicine (and faculties of Dental, Pharmacist and Medical Technology in the next future). Our main academic objectives are:
- To apply an appropriate educational environment through recruiting highly qualified faculty members and technicians along with the perfect preparation of the teaching labs.
- To prepare highly developed curriculum to correspond to with the contemporary education methods.
- To utilize the basic science literature of cell anatomic, histological, and physiologic normality to interpret clinical and morphological changes.
To employ the application of gross and microscopic pathology in order to teach students the origin of signs, symptoms, and laboratory data they will use to diagnose the clinical problems of the patients they will encounter. The instruction is in the form of lectures, tutorials; problem based learning and practical sessions.
- To evaluate the skills and knowledge acquired by students.
- To give students the opportunity to participate in research work in the department.
- To develop concepts and sufficient understanding of the subject to pursue post-graduate studies and continuing medical education.
2- RESEARCH ACTIVITIES:
Scitific research is an essential component of our department activities. The goal of our research activities is to understand the cellular and molecular mechanisms of diseases and applying this knowledge to medical practice which will keep us up with the latest developments. Research work is particularly active in cancer biology and genetics. The department is planning at excelling scholarship to enrich our experience and provide national and international important researches. Our main objectives for research are:
- To enhance a culture of research among the department staff members with recognizing meritocracy and teamwork.
- To identify research themes those are in accord with faculty expertise and line of research.
- To develop innovative platforms for collaboration within and outside of the Department.
- To build an outstanding research management infrastructure to optimally and proactively support faculty, staff and students to design, implement and manage research.
- To apply research and statistical methods to laboratory data.
- HOSPITAL SERVICES (in the next future):
The Department of Pathology is one of the, departments that do not only teach pathology, but it also diagnoses diseases. So it is considered an important basis for disease diagnosis and treatment. Establishing the Pathology lab goes step by step with the process of Tabuk Teaching Hospital foundation. Our objectives are:
- To provide excellent diagnostic and laboratory services and facilities to patients.
- To diagnose all surgical specimens and cytological preparations.
- To provide intra-operative consultation services.
- To provide consultation services to other Ministry of health (MOH) hospitals; including ancillary techniques (special stains, immunohistochemical stains) to enforce diagnosis.
- To ensure the excellence of the offered diagnostic services by the usage of high standards of Laboratory Quality Control and assessing the patients satisfactory.
- COMMUNITY SERVICES:
Being a part of University of Tabuk, the Department strives to promote the health and well-being of the people of Tabuk and Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Our objectives are:
- To apply tools of science and pathology in supporting public health goals and ongoing expansion of medical knowledge.
- To promote national expertise in different areas of Pathology in order to enhance national health services.
- To promote innovative research that addresses current and evolving health challenges.
- To contribute to the administrative, research, clinical, educational and support functions of other basic science and clinical departments within and outside University of Tabuk.
- To provide effective partnership with the regional hospitals and health institutions.
- To participate in the activities of national and international scientific societies.
- To develop continuing medical education programs in pathology.